Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Vacation and family

I haven't been feeling well the past week or so, so I haven't been trying or doing much. With that said, I did try a new gluten free ravioli from Conte and it was yummy. Ken said he wouldn't have known it, or the garlic bread I made with Udi's whole grain bread, were gluten free. SCORE! If I wouldn't have been so hungry, I would have taken pics. I also ordered and received some gluten free breadcrumbs recently, and look forward to giving those a shot! They were from Mozzarelli's http://www.mozzarellis.com/gluten-free-bread-crumbs.html. To meet their minimum order requirements I also ordered some frozen pizza dough's. I still have the Gnocchi from the gluten free mall to use, for the mac and cheese recipe from Pinterest with gnocchi's instead of macaroni noodles. Mmmmm, I love fall, or as Ken referred to it when I talked of Crockpot season, the fat season. So be it. :-)

We are going on vacation the first week of October with my family. I am excited to get back to Massachusetts, which we love, but haven't been able to get to in a long time. Also excited to try some of the gluten free places I have already found there. I will have my gluten flam pills with me, as, if Sugar Mags has their carrot cake pancakes I will be partaking! After the past couple of years, losing some relatives that really were some of my favorite people, family medical dramas and everything else that goes on in a day, it will be really nice to get away. And as my Mom says, we never really had family vacations growing up, so this will be good. Although it's 8 hrs in the car with my family. I think I owe Ken big for this one!

On the note of Grandpa's passing, his house goes up for sale next week. I am filled with deep sadness and relief over this. I hate to see it go, and that it really is the final part of it all, and while not everyone understands it, we still have that place to go to right now. It's still a part of him, that's tangible. Once it's sold, it's done. Even thinking about it makes my eyes well up. He built that house for his family. He raised his family there. Watched children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, run freely. Made wine there, holiday meals, memories. So many wonderful memories. Even all the family BS that has come about since his illness and subsequent passing can't make me forget the good memories. Some moments in time, are cherished more than any object can ever be. Even with all that, I am relieved that it’s close to no longer being a tie to the relatives that are so very caustic.

No comments:

Post a Comment