Now I am a cheese based person, so we did sprinkle fresh grated parmesan cheese on top, but it was fantastic without it, just needed to satisfy my cheese craving :-)
Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce
1 medium head of cauliflower
1 large yellow onion
2-3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon butter (or coconut oil)
5 cups chicken broth
¾ cup milk (or non dairy milk if needed)
½ teaspoon salt (I used Himalayan Pink Sea Salt)
- Cut the onion and garlic into thin slices. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet on low heat, add onion slices and garlic and sauté covered on low until the onions and garlic are golden and caramelized (about 20 minutes).
- Bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and cook in broth until tender (7-10 minutes). Reserve 3/4 cup of broth, drain the rest.
- Place the tender cauliflower into a blender or food processor together with the caramelized onions, garlic, 3/4 cup of broth (or more as needed), milk and salt. Puree until smooth.
- Store the sauce in a container with a lid (like a mason jar) and place in the fridge, if not using right away.Depending on the size of you blender, you can also double the recipe.