Saturday, September 8, 2012

New things

So, I have been wanting to try the soft pretzel recipe out of Nicole Hunn's , Gluten Free on a Shoestring.   The first time, the dough did not rise, and I thought it was because of the temperature of the water.  Not having a thermometer, I just judged the temp based on how it felt in relation to my skin.  I threw that dough out.   I got a thermometer, and measured everything and put it in the food processor, with the correct blade, and I think it may have risen a little. They didn't' roll out as they should and the texture seemed way off.   But I decided instead of scrapping this one, I would bake them out anyhow.   Flavor wise, they weren't bad.   I believe though, the issue with the rise is that I use the Splenda sugar blend, which I read was still good for yeast, instead of regular brown sugar.   I think I will give this a third try and use real brown sugar and if it doesn't rise then, then I am not meant to conquer this recipe.  My goal is to get the dough to rise correctly so I can convert it into pretzel bites and make a cheese sauce and have my own homemade pretzel bites :-)
My mother has bought me a box of a Chia Chocolate Chip Cookie mix to try.   Now, I prefer to make my own, but I wanted to give it a shot.  While they weren't bad, I wouldn't be rushing back to buy the mix.   Just prefer the good old fashioned homemade chocolate chip cookies.  
I am looking forward to trying the family Pizzelle recipe with Better Batter.  I think it will be nice to have some again.  I miss certain family favorites and looking to convert all to gluten free that I can.  Biscotti are next!!
Next week a few girls from work and I that are all Gluten Challenged are ordering out from Wild Tomato for lunch.  I am excited.  I am hoping to get the Mushroom-o-Rama pizza I swear I ordered Friday, but got a regular instead?  Also that same day, a few girls from work and I are having drinks at Flinchy's which has gluten free options.  I am excited.  
Ken and I are also trying to plan a vacation with my parents, as we all need a get away after all that has happened in the family the past two years and my parents really haven't had a real vacation in ages.   I think we are finally heading back to New England.   woo hoo!!!    Ken and I have been wanting to go back there for a few years now and I am glad to be able to get back up there in the fall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment