Monday, July 1, 2013

Meatballs

I wish I was smart enough to ask my Nonna and Grandma to walk me through some recipes when they were alive, but I was a teenager when they passed and didn't think to ask for such things, and my grandmother was not the kind to offer up such ideas.  So I went to Pinterest looking for some gluten free meatball recipes and am also trying to get some from relatives.  Here is one I found and it was not bad.  Next time I am going to the mom and pop grocery store to get the ground sausage, Giant had one option, which while not bad, would not be my normal sausage pick.

  

Side note, totally excited that a cousin sent me her meatball recipe to try and my grandpa's baby sister (closing in on 90) also offered to walk me though hers.  Will be trying out both recipes :-)



Meatballs

 

1 T Salt

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp oregano

1/2 tsp marjoram

1/2 tsp ground thyme

1/4 tsp pepper

1 C quick oats

1 large shallot

4 cloves of garlic

7-10 fresh basil leaves

2 lbs hamburger

1 lb ground sausage

1 egg

2 cups olive oil

6 cups tomato sauce

 

1.     Combine first 7 ingredients in a blender until you reach a flour like consistency.(I used gluten free oats, also, had no thyme on hand, so for the marjoram, oregano and thyme I used Italian seasoning blend)

2.     Chop shallot, garlic and fresh basil.  I use a hand grater for my garlic, easier than chopping.

3.     Add hamburger and sausage into a large mixing bowl.

4.     Add flour mixture and chopped ingredients.

5.     Add egg.

6.     Mix by hand until well combined.   (Next time I am going to use the stand mixer, I have a feeling it will go better….)

7.     Roll into 3-4 inch balls.

8.     Heat oil in a large skillet. (I ran out of olive oil, so mine was half olive and half  smart balance oil, and it worked fine)

9.     Brown meatballs 1-2 minutes on each side.

10.Remove from oil and place into a baking dish or roasting pan and cover.

11.Bake for 2 hours at 225 degrees. 

12.Remove and serve as desired.  We chose to dip ours in the sauce, instead of making any pasta or tossing them in the sauce. 










No comments:

Post a Comment