Saturday, March 29, 2014

One pot pasta

I decided to finally try the one pot pasta dish floating around Pinterest.  Now granted, not a big Martha Stewart fan, although Jen Lancaster made her tolerable for me, but she had a good idea with this.   I did try it and have some thoughts and modifications.  I will say that Ken did not see this as anything he's craving as being all cooked together, there is really one overall flavor.  I think it was neat.  But I am easily amused at times.
of note, I can make garlic bread out of just about any bread product.   In the pictures this round of garlic bread was brought to you by Against the Grain dinner rolls.  I find with those nuking them a bit with a wet paper towel, then toasting, works best.  They also have an AMAZING gluten free pizza.  Check it out.


INGREDIENTS

  • 12 ounces gluten free pasta
  • 12 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes, halved (I used Roma tomatos)
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
  • 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon red-pepper flakes (this was too much for me.   I had to half this, still had a bit of heat even doing that much)
  • 2 sprigs basil, plus torn leaves for garnish
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 4 1/2 cups water
  • Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for serving

DIRECTIONS

  1. STEP 1

    Combine pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, red-pepper flakes, basil, oil, 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and water in a large straight-sided skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil mixture, stirring and turning pasta frequently with tongs, until pasta is al dente and water has nearly evaporated, about 9 minutes.
  2. STEP 2

    Season to taste with salt and pepper, divide among 4 bowls, and garnish with basil. Serve with oil and Parmesan.

The second time I made it, I decided to use San Marzano tomato's and replace some of the water amounts with the liquid from the can of tomatoes.  I also used pecorino romano cheese to try and add another layer of flavor.  Both versions work well.






No comments:

Post a Comment