Saturday, September 20, 2014

I think we have a winner.

I am always experimenting and trying to improve on things.  And as much as I love the Ian's Gluten Free Panko, for some things, the crumb size is too large.  So I decided to dig into the supply of gluten free items I have received over the past few years from my mother on her grocery trips.  I have found a breading combination I really like.  I dredge chunked up chicken (or sliced zucchini) in a mostly milk based liquid, with an egg in it.  Then I go into a mixture of Glutino breadcrumbs/Kentucky Kernel Seasoned Flour/fresh grated park cheese/garlic powder.  And that is it.  I like to do the frying in my cast iron skillet, and so far the peanut oil has really supplied the best browning.  It has been tested out about 4 times now.  And so far, everyone has loved it.   Ken doesn't even like zucchini, and when I made it with this breading, he loved it.   Trust me, when it comes to the gluten free cooking, he will let me know if something is not as good as the gluten version.  He's not gluten free so he doesn't have to accept some subpar versions of things the way many of us have.


there isn't a set recipe, but basically, here is how it goes:

one egg to probably a cup to two cups of milk.   The ratio is really more milk than egg.

for the flour, equal parts seasoned flour and glutino breadcrumbs, with a generous amount of cheese.   I am a big fan of garlic, so I am pretty liberal with that too.





No comments:

Post a Comment